Members News – January 11, 2019
- Helps us recognize the wonderful work that is happening everyday within Ontario’s policing community. Nominations for the 2019 OACP Awards are now being accepted! Information about the Awards, their criteria and nominations forms can be accessed by visiting: http://oacp.ca/news-events/awards . All Awards will be handed out on Monday, June 24 at the Westin Harbour Castle in Toronto during the Annual Meeting. The deadline to submit an award nomination is March 7, 2019.
- The latest issue of the OACP’s HQ Magazine is now available! Check out the great articles in this issue!
- OACP Executive Director Jeff McGuire and many Ontario police leaders gathering in Peel Region to honour Chief Jennifer Evans on the occasion of her retirement. The Chief is a Past President of the OACP. We will miss her wise counsel and friendship!
- The OACP Board of Directors will be meeting in Waterloo on February 12 and 13.
- Congratulations to Chief Shawn Devine (North Bay PS) on his appointment as Executive Director of the Ontario Police Technology Information Co-operative (OPTIC), which is comprised of 34 municipal police services, six First Nation Police Services, the OPP, the Enforcement Branch of the Ministry of Natural Resources, the Enforcement Branch of Ottawa Transit and the University of Toronto Campus Police. The purpose of the Co-operative is to provide state of the art information technology and data management systems. Thank you, Chief Devine, for being an excellent OACP Zone Director and Board member!
- The next OACP Zone 1A will take place in Sault Ste. Marie on January 30 and 31, 2019. Police leaders attending the Zone meeting are also looking forward to the Opening Ceremony for the 2019 Special Olympics Winter Games.
- A Retirement Celebration for Staff Superintendent Mario Di Tommaso (Toronto Police Service) will be held on Thursday, January 24, 2019 at the Beanfield Centre - Exhibition Place (105 Princes' Boulevard Toronto, ON). To purchase tickets, please visit www.eventbrite.ca and search for “Mario Di Tommaso Retirement Dinner”.
- The OACP Public/Private Security Liaison Committee is hosting its 2019 Public/Private Security Liaison Seminar on March 27, 2019 in Toronto. The theme for the seminar is Unmasking Fraud - Partnering to Protect.
- Mark your calendars! Toronto Police Service is hosting the 2nd Annual LGBTQ Conference for Criminal Justice Professionals June 19 to June 21, 2019. Check out the conference website for more information and updates! www.proudtobeyourfriend.ca.
- The University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management, is pleased to provide OACP Members (in good standing) with a 15 per cent discount on their upcoming Crisis Management course. Running from April 22-26, 2019 the Crisis Prevention, Management and Communication program will help you move from crisis management to crisis leadership. Participants will emerge more effective, thoughtful, and resilient, and with a skill set that can provide you with a strategic advantage over less well-prepared competitors. To learn more about the program and to register, please visit: http://www.rotman.utoronto.ca