Member News – March 9, 2018
- Congratulations to Chief Bill Sornberger (Owen Sound PS) and Chief Jeff DeRuyter (Guelph PS) on their elections as Zone 5 Director and Assistant Director respectively.
- Congratulations to Deputy Chief of Police Jeff Driedger of the St. Thomas Police Service, who has announced his retirement effective the end of March. A celebratory Open House will be hosted on March 28 at the St. Thomas PS Headquarters’.
- Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has appointed Brenda Lucki as Canada's first permanent female RCMP Commissioner.
- Deputy Chief Dave Whitlow (Anishinabek PS) is asking police personnel to support Sergeant Kevin Redsky as he participates on the Hope in Darkness for Youth Mental Health, which begins April 1, 2018 across Canada. For more information, click here.
- Congratulation to Mr. Ron Kelusky who has been appointed the Chief Prevention Officer / Assistant Deputy Minister of Labour for Ontario.
- Save the date for the upcoming 2018 Provincial School Championships in Peterborough, being held May 29 to 31, 2018. The Provincial School Championships has grown tremendously since its inaugural year (2011-2012). This year, over 800 school-based athletes from all corners of the province will be participating, many for the first time in such a prestigious event.
- The Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police (CACP) is hosting a “Guns, Gangs & Murder” conference in Vancouver March 26 to 29, 2019 in Vancouver. The conference seeks to inform, train, and share information on gangs and gang violence with specific focus on the interprovincial, cross-border and international scope of gangs and gang violence. It will feature investigations from Canada and the United States and focus on best practices, lessons learned, and investigative techniques and strategies. For more information, click here.
- Register today for the Municipal Issues in the Legalization of Cannabis Forum, taking place from March 20-21, 2018 in Toronto. The forum will focus on issues related to one key question” Will Your Municipality Be Ready for July 2018? Registrants include: By-law Enforcement, City Clerks, CAO’s, Police, Legal Counsel and Public Health Care professionals. To learn more and to register please click on the link above.
- Job Posting: Chief of Police, Sault Ste. Marie Police