This Week @ Queen’s Park and Parliament Hill - May 31, 2019
- The Ontario legislature has passed Bill 117, the Ontario Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (OSPCA) Amendment Act (Interim Period), 2019, a temporary measure to keep animals safe while the province transitions to an improved animal protection enforcement system that is more robust, transparent and accountable.
- The legislature also passed Bill 115, An Act to amend the Liquor Control Act, in relation to beer sales in Ontario, and Bill 107, Getting Ontario Moving Act (Transportation Statute Law Amendment), 2019, an omnibus Bill which addresses a number of traffic safety issues.
- Chief Paul Pedersen, the OACP’s First Vice-President, will be meeting with the Chief Coroner’s Panel of Experts in regards to the Police Suicide Review.
- At the next OACP Justice Committee taking place on June 18, 2019, members will be receiving a presentation on the Cannabis Youth Diversion Program developed by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services (Youth Justice Division). This is an important part of the Province’s strategy for mitigating the use of cannabis by young people.
- We anticipate that work on the regulations for the Comprehensive Police Services Act will continue throughout the summer. The Ministry of the Solicitor General has requested that the OACP provide input to ensure the regulations meet the needs of Ontario police services and their communities.