This Week @Queen’s Park & Parliament Hill – November 29, 2019
- Thank you to all the police who joined a meeting organized by the Ministry of the Solicitor General (MSG) on a Provincial Digital Evidence Management. Stay tuned for more information.
- Police services can expect to receive direction from the MSG with regards to the requirements of the Anti-Racism Act. The OACP has been advocating for the Ministry to provide clarity on these requirements.
- The OACP met with officials from the MSG to discuss the OACP’s proposals regarding the investigations standards involving elderly and other vulnerable individuals.
- The Government of Ontario is developing a new strategy to combat human trafficking that will be co-led by the Honourable Sylvia Jones, Solicitor General, and Jill Dunlop, Associate Minister of Children and Women’s Issues. The strategy is part of Ontario’s commitment to protecting women and children and combatting gender-based violence, sexual exploitation and abuse.
- The OACP welcomed the introduction of Bill 136, An Act to enact the Provincial Animal Welfare Services Act, 2019, by Solicitor General Sylvia Jones. The OACP was pleased that the government sought the advice of Ontario’s police leader to ensure that this legislation helps our officers protect animals in Ontario.
- Congratulations to former OACP President Bill Blair on his appointment as Minister of Public Safety in the new federal Cabinet. We look forward to working with Minister Blair and all federal Members of Parliament on public safety issues in Ontario